Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Post-Election Reflections

Zairis (my boyfriend) submitting his vote into the machine
Last night the results for the Presidential Elections for 2012 were released! There was a lot of build up and, because it was such a close race, a lot of anxiety on both sides! As everyone (should) know by now, Obama will continue his presidency into a second term.

My boyfriend and I were so excited to go vote, the place we voted was just down the road from our apartment in a local fire house. This was both of our second time voting, though my first time voting in Connecticut (I voted in the 2008 election in Austin, Texas). I was so proud to wear my "I Voted" sticker all day... I even got free popcorn last night at Rave Movie Theater (in North Haven) because of my sitcker!

I loved seeing everyone get involved in this national event on campus. A few weeks earlier I had participated in the National Voters Registration Day. I was able to help Albertus Students register to vote, which really made me feel like I was a part of the process and helping others become part of the process as well.

A lot of my classmates were really excited about this election because it was their first time able to vote. The amount of "I Voted" stickers around campus yesterday was amazing and inspiring.


Because I was so nervous about the results, my boyfriend and our two friends went on a double date to go see Wreck It Ralph (where I got my free popcorn for voting!) to take off some of the anxiety caused by waiting for the results. We made it home well in time to see the results, and I could not have been happier!

I know some people are very upset about the results of this elections, but I think what is important now is to unite as a country so we can move towards a better, brighter America!

No comments:

Post a Comment