Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Edwardian Opulence

This past weekend my mom came to visit me! If you've been reading along from the beginning you'll know just how much I love when people come to visit me in New Haven! You can read about my other recent visitors and what we've done here, here and here.

My mom lives about an hour and a half away so whenever she comes to visit it is always a treat! The purpose for my mom's visit (besides seeing me, of course!) was the Edwardian Opulence feature at the Yale Center for British Art.

One of the fantastic things about New Haven is that there are a ton of local museums. This is largely thanks to Yale. The three that I frequent most often are the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, the above mentioned Yale Center for British Art, and Yale University Art Gallery. The Yale University Art Gallery is always free, and the other two are free on certain days (Sunday, I believe).

Anyway, my mom was particularly interested in the Edwardian Opulence exhibit because she (and the rest of my family, myself included) is obsessed with Downton Abbey. If you're not familiar with Downton Abbey, I not only feel very sorry for you (but not too sorry... get a HuluPLUS account!) but I also believe that you live under a rock. Downton Abbey is a TV series that follows the lives of the Crawley family and their servants. There's a lot more to it, but we won't go into that now!

Anyway, so we went to the museum which was a lot of fun and free. We also walked around downtown, stopping at some lovely places including Chocopologie and Woodland Coffee & Tea. We also spent a lot of time walking around the New Haven Green, which was beautiful.

All in all it was a fantastic visit. We didn't really plan anything to do for the day (except the trip to the museum), which was okay because one of the cool thing about New Haven is that you can just walk around down town and find some really great things to do!

What about you, are you familiar with New Haven? If so, how do you like to spend the day when you have visitors?

No comments:

Post a Comment