Friday, April 12, 2013

Blue State Coffee

Pretty awesome if you ask me!
I learned long ago that I am one of those people who absolutely cannot study at home. I get too distracted with all of the things I have to do that are not homework related, like cleaning, cooking, watching TV... etc. These distractions get even worse when I have an assignment I absolutely do not want to do... like today.

I have a grant proposal due on Monday and it is one of those assignments that I am just totally not in to. The class is pretty cool and the topic is super important, but I just haven't been able to sit myself down before today to get this done. Luckily, we've been working on this project for quite some time, so I already have a pretty thorough draft to work off of.

Voting Station
Anyway, because I knew I wasn't going to get a thing done at home, I decided to hit up one of my all time favorite study spots, Blue State Coffee. I first discovered Blue State Coffee when my sister came to visit and we needed to grab a quick cup of coffee before she hopped back on the train to go home. This little gem is located downtown on Wall Street, right in the heart of Yale. I love this place because everyone who comes here is a student of some type; being surrounded by motivated students always gives me that extra push to work on a homework assignment... even when I really don't want to.

Blue State is also my favorite coffee place because I wholeheartedly support their mission, which they have done a phenomenal job of displaying and incorporating into the way they do their business. The two bits of their mission that I really love are:
100% Compostable!
  1. Donating 2% of profits to a non-profit organization of customers' choice. I think this is awesome because they are not just preaching that they want to invest in the community, they're actually doing it. Blue State has a station set up in the cafe where a customer takes a chip given to them at the register and places it in the jar for the non-profit organization they vote for. The jar with the most chips gets the donation, and then they start again. There is also a suggestion box where you can suggest a non-profit to be placed in the running.
  2. Become a zero waste business. I think this is also an incredible goal and honestly, I didn't think it was obtainable... but they're actually working towards it! As you can see by the picture the to-go cups, sleeves and lids are made from completely compostable materials, in addition they have a comprehensive recycling station set up near the area where you bring your dishes once you're done with your drink or snack.
I love coming to study at Blue State Coffee because it is such a hip place with positive energy that really fuels and encourages me to finish my work. What about you, do you have a favorite study place? If so, where and what do you like most about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment