Friday, February 15, 2013

Nemo Clean Up

Though it has been a week since Nemo struck, New Haven is still coping with the aftermath. There is so much snow that there is really nowhere to put it! Even when the city plowed the streets, the snow from the streets got pushed to the sidewalk, which in a city is just not acceptable. Main streets are completely clogged up, for example: one main road near Albertus, Dixwell Ave, is completely overloaded with traffic because the normally two-lane road has been reduced to one lane. This is super inconvenient and I wasn't really sure what the city was going to do about it.

I wasn't sure... up until tonight! Tonight when I was doing my homework I heard a ruckus outside, so my boyfriend and I went to the porch to see what it was. Turns out, the city has some SERIOUS snow plows that have been working overtime to clear the roads and collect all the snow to dump in areas that wont be effected, like empty fields.

It was so cool to see the snow plow because it was literally the largest vehicle I have ever seen. In the picture it is hard to grasp the size, partly because I am standing on a porch that is elevated, but as you can see, it is about half the size of the 3-story house behind it!

The plow was accompanied by cops who blocked off our roadway so that the big plow could work fast and efficiently without having to worry about hitting cars. We had to park our cars in our neighbor's driveway so that the plow would be able to get the snow that was around our cars.

Now our road is very clean and we can go back to parking on the side of the street without having to worry about getting stuck in the snow. All is good on Spring Street!


No comments:

Post a Comment