Friday, March 1, 2013

Dunkin' Donuts vs. Starbucks


If you walk around campus on any given morning during the week, you will most likely not be able to count the amount of Dunkin' Donuts coffee cups being carried around by faculty and students on two hands; the well-known slogan "America Runs on Dunkin'" could accurately be pinpointed to "Albertus Runs on Dunkin'".

Shirt for sale at a local Dunkin' Donuts
I admit, I enjoy the convenience of Dunkin' Donuts for when I'm in a pinch and craving caffeine (I mean, they're literally everywhere in CT!) but past that, I cannot understand why Dunkin' Donuts has become such a "thing" - their products there are not even that cheap anymore! This may sound ludicrous, but I cannot stand Dunkin' Donuts! If I have the opportunity, I will always choose to go to another coffee place.

I have had countless bad experiences (either they have messed up my order, given me stale or burnt products, or the staff has been horribly rude) at almost every Dunkin' Donuts I have ever gone to at one point or another! The crazy thing is... I am not alone in this; anytime I mention that Dunkin' Donuts got me so frustrated that morning because they messed up my order, at least 80% of whatever group I am talking to will agree and say they have had similar problems! So what then is keeping Dunkin' Donuts so popular?

One thing that I have noticed about Dunkin' which really grinds my gears is that they're always seeming to compare themselves with Starbucks. I personally love Starbucks and cannot see how Dunkin' Donuts would even think themselves in the same league! Starbucks coffee is delish (in my opinion), and they have not once messed up my order. I also hate when one company clearly bashes another company in their advertising, it seems cheap and inappropriate in my eyes - a very bad marketing technique indeed.

So what do you think? Do you understand the Dunkin' Donuts craze or are you as bewildered as me? If you had the choice of Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks, which would you choose? If you have any insight to this Dunkin' Donuts phenomenon, please enlighten me!

A made this short poll below in order to get a good grasp of what you readers think, so please answer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment