Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Accepted Student Calling

We got free dinner from Moe's... yum!
The past two nights I have had the pleasure of helping to call all of the recently accepted students for next year! I have never done this before (because this is my first year as a tour guide), but it was a ton of fun! It is so amazing to hear how excited the students and parents got when they realized it was someone from Albertus calling!

I was really excited to do this event because I remember when I got my accepted student call! I remember how incredibly jazzed I was - I could not wait to get to Albertus! It's so funny because I remember exactly what I was doing when they called (cooking dinner) and I remember the entire conversation! Turns out the girl who called me actually became my really good friend when I came to Albertus, and we still hang out!

Most of the soon-to-be Falcons were super excited and had really great questions for me, so I thought I'd share them with you, and give you my answers!:
  • As a freshman, where should I live; Dominican or in a mansion? When I came in as a transfer I lived in Dominican, and I am so happy that I did! I wanted to be where all the excitement on campus was, and being that 2/3 of the residents live in Dominican, for me Dominican was the place to be. Also, because the majority of kid's on campus live in Dominican, it's so easy to just pop over to someone's room to hang out, versus having to cross campus (especially when it's snowing!). That being said, if you enjoy/require living a quieter lifestyle in order to be able to focus on your schoolwork, then you should choose a mansion. Regardless of where you live, you are going to make friends - so don't stress too much on this!
  • I'm on a sports team, where should I live? Typically incoming freshmen and transfers who are on a sports team want to live around their future teammates. Most of the teams tend to have a majority of their players living in Dominican, though I would talk with your coach about it!
  • Should I bring a microwave/refrigerator? If you live in Dominican, yes; if you live in a mansion, no because they are not allowed (you have access to a community kitchen in the mansions). I would suggest waiting until you see who your roommate is before you go and buy them. The summer before move-in, you will get a letter saying who your roommate is and their phone number. I would suggest calling them and working out the details of who will bring what, that way you don't end up duplicating.
  • Can I bring my pet? Nope, sorry :( ... But that just gives you a reason to go home and visit mom and dad! You won't believe me now (because if you are anything like I was, you are so ready to get out of the house!) but you will miss them a ton, and you will want every excuse to go home, even just for a weekend.
  • What is my financial aid status? The Financial Aid Office will be more then happy to answer any and all of your questions. You can email them at: financial_aid@albertus.edu or call: 203-773-8508.
Do you have any questions I didn't answer? You can either ask them in a comment, or email me directly: orpalmer@albertus.edu. 

2 comments:

  1. Great job answering the questions related to housing! -Justin Cirisoli, Director of Residential Life

    ReplyDelete