Saturday, January 19, 2013

Zumba!

When the clock struck midnight on December 31, 2012, I joined the rest of the overweight population in American in declaring that in 2013 I am going to be more fit and fantastic then I was in 2012.

Unfortunately for me and about 75% of the other people who took this same pledge, less then 20 days later my motivation has run out and I'm still overweight, unhealthy, and not really on the right path to fixing that (last night I literally ate 5 cookies from Insomnia Cookies.. which I had delivered to my house).

However, I have decided to renew my resolution and I did that today by going to Zumba class! After Yelp-ing for "Zumba in New Haven", I discovered a very cool little place near Albertus called ViVa! Z Fitness. Since the scheduled classes seemed to coincide very well with my work and school schedule, I decided to give it a try... it also helped that the first class is a free trial class, so it cost me nothing to try this place out! 

I absolutely LOVED the class. I used to be a big Zumba enthusiast when I lived in Austin, where the gym I used to go to had exercise classes included in the membership fee; however, since moving to Connecticut I have gone to maybe one Zumba class. But let me just tell you: it felt SO good to Zumba again! I forgot how much fun classes are and how energized you feel afterwards! I am already sore from all of the squats we did in the dance routines.

Anyway, after the class I decided that I needed by buy myself a membership. The membership was only $35 because I got a $5 discount for signing up after my first class. I say "only" because the membership is for unlimited Zumba classes at BOTH locations, there is a location in New Haven on State Street, and another on Captain Thomas Blvd in West Haven. In addition, Zumba is not the only thing they do at ViVa! Z Fitness, they also have classes for:
  • Zumba®
  • Zumba Gold®
  • Zumba® Toning
  • Zumba Sentao™
  • Zumbatomic®
  • Hip Hop & Street Jazz
  • Pilates
I am really excited to go to more classes and think that this will be an excellent way for me to get re-enthused about my workout goals... and it is also a fantastic cardio-alternative to the treadmill (which can get SO boring!).

What about you? Did one of your resolutions include vowing to work out more or eat more healthy? Have you made some good progress, or have you somewhat slipped like me? Do you have any work out tips to make it more fun or any motivational tools to keep you going?

No comments:

Post a Comment