Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Vegetarian & Vegan Delights!

On one of my recent posts, there was a request to hear more about the vegetarian and vegan hotspots that New Haven has to offer. Because most of my family is leaning towards vegan diets (though currently more accurately classified as vegetarian), and I try to eat as healthy and clean as possible, I am actually very familiar with a few great restaurants in the area!

Of course, if you live on campus and have already purchased the meal plan all you have to do is communicate with the chefs in the Dining Hall. They are so great about accommodating to everyone’s individual meal preferences, so as long as you let them know you are a vegan or vegetarian, they will always make an option for you at every meal.

However, if you feel like having a night out with your friends and want to dine somewhere strictly vegetarian I have a few great places to recommend! Two spots that I have gone and enjoyed immensely are Claire’s Corner Copia in the downtown area near the Green, and Fuel Coffee Shop on Chapel Street near Wooster Square.

Both of these places offer a wide variety of meals and are strictly vegetarian (read: no meat offered at all in any dish). In addition, they can substitute ingredients so your meal is completely vegan. I love both of these places and always feel satisfyingly full after. Do note: if you’re driving to Clarie’s Corner Copia, it is in the heart of downtown so you may need to bring change for parking depending on when you plan on dining.

Though the above two restaurants are strictly vegetarian and mostly American-esque foods, if you’re interested in meat- and dairy-free options you may want to try some other, more ethnic foods. The cultures that are best known for amazing vegetarian options are Indian, Vietnamese, and Thai. 

Though I have not explored the Vietnamese and Thai options in New Haven (yet!) I have Yelp‘ed a few restaurants that have very good reviews. Here are a few places I came up with (all of which are in the greater New Haven area): Lean’s Vietnamese Food Cart, Jeera Thai, and Thai Awesome.

I am, however, very familiar with the Indian cuisine available here in New Haven and have to say that Kamal is hands-down the best Indian food you will find in this city. The best part about Kamal, aside from their delicious menu and incredibly friendly staff, is that they have free delivery to Albertus. They have an entire vegetarian section of their menu, so do make sure to check it out!

Thank you, Erica, for that great feedback and question! This is by far my favorite blog that I have written so far – I am such a foodie! Those are the vegetarian and vegan options that I would suggest; it’s a good start – but I’m sure there are many, many more!

Question for all of you: Which vegetarian/vegan restaurants in New Haven (or surrounding areas) are your favorite? Do tell, I’m always looking for new places to try :)

No comments:

Post a Comment